Monday, April 25, 2011

He puts ketchup on his ketchup

 

Have you ever seen this shirt?

ketchup

It totally describes Ben.  The boy LOVES ketchup and would eat with anything and everything.  Luckily, it’s helped us get him to eat certain proteins like steak or chicken (the non nugget form).

Kind of a random title for a post, but I wanted to put something other than “I’m going to rip my hair out” or “HELP!”  This blog serves not only to let our family and friends know what’s going on in our lives, but also to document the big and little details of our boys including the good and the bad.  We wouldn’t trade our sweet Briggs for anything in the world, but I would be lying if I said it was all peachy these days.  He seriously does nothing but sleep ALL day.  We still can’t keep him up.  He’s starting to wake for longer periods and stare around, but for the most part he’s out.  Now night time is another story.  Not the evenings, but starting around 11.  You can hear and feel the gas bubbles in his tummy and you know he’s in pain.  We tried gas drops which didn’t help.  Gripe water has helped a little, but it’s still rough.  Last night he screamed from 11 til 3.  It wouldn’t be so awful if his big brother wasn’t up and at ‘em at 7:30.  That child is an energizer bunny.  He DOES NOT STOP!  Last Thursday night it was so bad I had to cancel on an Easter playdate for Ben because I was still up at 4 am.  I was so bummed for Ben and had even tried to be ‘creative’ and make a cute Easter themed snack (not to worry-I failed).  I do want to thank my amazing friend Michelle for the sweetest card and brownies that just showed up on my porch encouraging me to stay positive through this rough patch.  I’m so blessed to have good friends.

April 24 011

This was my attempt to make egg shaped rice krispy treats just like the commercial.  They were supposed to stick together and on the inside have M&M’s, but that part didn’t work out so I tried to just make them egg shaped.  When I gave Ben one on Friday he took a bite, spit it out and gave the treat back and said “no mommy, ick”.  Domestic Diva I am not!

We also let Easter slip by this year.  No church, no egg hunts, no Easter outfits.  Ben did get a basket with some non candy treats, but that was about it.  We had planned on doing it all, but we were flat out exhausted!

Today was also the last day of B’s paternity leave.  We are beyond blessed that he’s had the past 4 weeks off.  I’m not sure who will miss him more, me or Ben.  Ben is going to be lost without his best buddy tomorrow.  This also means that starting tonight I’m on my own with Briggs.  Luckily my mom flies back in tomorrow night for the rest of the week.  Yes I know that most moms don’t have the luxury of paternity leave for a month or a mom (and aunt) who will fly out to help so I shouldn’t complain…ya, ya, ya!  This is my real test of if I want to stay home with the boys or go back to work.  I’m pretty sure I’ll be staying home, but there might be a reason I was told to wait to turn in my resignation.

Briggs goes for his 1 month check up on Friday.  I can’t wait to see how big he’s gotten.  There’s also so much I want to document about Ben.  He makes us laugh all the time and talks in sentences these days.  He calls M&M’s “circles” and loves to tickle.  I’ll have to write a Ben post one day soon.  He’s so amazing, we are so blessed!

April 24 002

Just chillin’ (but with his eyes OPEN)

April 24 003

Let me introduce you to my little brother.  I like him part of the time Smile  Tonight I even tried to feed him chicken and rice.

April 24 009

“Oh mom, no more pictures” (check out his chicken legs)

April 24 010

love this little man!

April 24 013

let’s just say it’s a good thing we have a boy and not a girl or I’d be playing lots of dress up!

April 24 020

yes, he’s giving his baby brother a head-butt…nice

April 24 021

Briggs hates tummy time so he decided to just lay down and go to sleep.  Such a serious little man.

April 24 025

just a picture of what was constantly jabbing my side for so many months

 

~And what do you know-it’s 11:00 pm.  Guess who’s waking up right now for his screaming stretch!  Woohoo!!!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh Amy.... I hope it gets better for you soon and you get some sleep! Ben & Briggs are so adorable and I'm sure that helps when they're being stinkers =) Hang in there!!!

The Masons said...

The rice krispie treats look great! And yes, this time will pass. I will be praying for you during this time as Bill goes back to work and you're on your own. I can testify: they won't eat you alive! And it does get easier! Please don't hesitate to call if you need anything - even a few hours out or a playdate with Ben.

Tamara said...

Hang in there, Amy! It does get better...I felt lost and out of control for the first 2 months and then I found my new normal ( partially chaos but I was used to it :))