Friday, June 25, 2010

A visit to the ER

Last night (Thursday) Ben had his first (and hopefully only) trip to the ER. In the mornings Ben plays in our bathroom while I take a shower and get ready. By playing I mean he empties out the drawers. Daddy has put baby locks on the cabinets, but not the drawers because they're built funny and we can't find the right locks for them. So I'm in the shower watching him and he manages to open the very top drawer on Daddy's side and I see him pull out Daddy's razor. I immediately jump out and grab it, but the blade was missing. I looked all around and didn't see it. Since I knew there was no way he put it in his mouth, I just assumed Daddy had thrown it out after using it. Fast forward to last night and we're getting ready for bed. B notices his razor out and asks about it. Turns out he didn't throw it away. The two of us turned the bathroom upside down and no blade anywhere. In my gut and heart I knew he was fine, but what mom could go to sleep not knowing where the blade was when their precious boy was last near it??? I woke up my peacefully sleeping babe and off we went to Children's where I then had to explain my nomination for Mother of the Year. Mind you it's now after 11:00, but Ben's thinking we're on an adventure and is so excited to be checking out the ER waiting room. He was all smiles until the nurse took his vitals. My kid has the same fear of anything medical as his Mama. They did two xrays and that was tough for me. Poor baby being forced down and his arms and legs restrained and he just looked at me screaming and there was nothing I could do at that moment. We finished with that quickly and then had to wait almost 2 hours for the doctor to tell me exactly what the nurse said: "he's fine." At this point poor Ben is beyond overtired. They said he could walk around the room while we waited and as soon as I let him he goes straight for the bright red outlet (seriously who would make it red in a children's hospital). All I could picture is the doctor walking in and seeing Ben standing next to an outlet and asking me if I know anything about parenting. So walking around was out and this poor little guy had to sit on a bed (they did give him a toy which took care of 20 minutes). We came home, had a banana and went to bed. One would think that he would sleep in after getting to sleep close to 2, but no, we were up at 8:30. He went to Lucy's so I could go to the doctor and was such a stink since he was so tired. We came home, ate lunch, took a LONG nap and then had a much better night. Daddy came home at lunch and found the blade. It was sandwiched between the drawer and cabinet on the little metal thing that the drawer moves on.

My little man playing with his toy piano in the ER. I told you it kept him happy for 20 minutes :) You can see the stinkin' red outlet in the background that got someone's attention.

I am so thankful he was just fine. We had to wait forever because another kid came in and required the doctor's attention. Part of me wanted to be very mad at our wait, but then part of me was so thankful that my baby was fine and that I wanted that doctor to give all her attention to the critical kid.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

You poor thing, that is so scary! So happy everything was ok and you found the blade!!!

The Masons said...

Oh man, that is so scary! It's crazy that they're into EVERYTHING now!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness!!! I haven't been on your blog in a week so I just now saw this! HOW SCARY! I am so happy you found the blad and I am even happier it wasn't in Ben's tummy. You are a GREAT mom..He is so lucky you care so much. :-)