Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Briggs Carson

If you had told me last week that I’d have a baby who is a week old as opposed to two days old I would have laughed.  We’ve called Briggs a little jokester from the beginning and he continues to ‘reveal’ himself on his time-not ours.  First was when he chose to let us know he was in fact a boy and then again with his birth.  Last Monday I went to work and felt really nauseous.  I ended up leaving by 10 and went home and got sick to my stomach.  I went to the doctor and he said that Briggs was probably laying on my stomach so that food couldn’t make its way down and would continue unless someone moved…great!  He also said that work for Amy was done starting right then (oh, darn).  So off I go back to work to say goodbye to my kids and try to get things ready for the week for the sub who was taking over for just that week before my long term came.  As I’m trying to get things ready I start to feel awful again and then I got sick.  I didn’t get much done at all for the sweet sub (luckily I have the BEST team who helped her out).  I went home and laid down and felt a little better.  Fast forward a few hours and I started feeling pressure on my pelvis that came and went.  I finally talked to the on call doctor and she said that if it were contractions i wouldn’t be able to sleep.  B called me a baby and went to bed and then that pressure turned into contractions.  I knew something was going on.  I took a shower and tried to pack a few bags (we were NOT ready at all).  I got B up and we called my sweet friend Ashley around 11 who kindly came and slept over in case Ben woke up he’d have a familiar face.  We checked into the hospital around 11:45 and they were wheeling me into the OR around 1! 

Sweet baby Briggs came on his own at 1:34 weighing 7lbs 3 oz (Ben was 7.4).  I have to add that I did get sick again during the operation, keeping in tradition with Ben (and my mom got sick as I was being born).  I asked them not to give me the sedative they gave me with Ben so that I would be alert and awake right after his birth and I’m so glad I was.  They kept Briggs in the room while they finished everything up and we got to just stare and love on him from the first minute. 

Sadly as the sun started to come up, B started to feel really sick.  He went home to let Ashley go home and get ready for work and took a long nap before coming back.  Once he was back I sent him away around lunch time because he was so sick.  Gramma Cathy and Aunt Tina arrived after 3 and came straight to see Briggs before heading home to see Ben.  Everyone came back for dinner and Ben got to meet Briggs for the first time.  I had lots of tears seeing my boys together.  Ben gave him a sweet kiss and then being the angel that he is, slapped his head and walked away.  He didn’t understand why he couldn’t play with Mommy.  Gramma ended up staying over that night since B was so sick.  The crazy lady even slept in the waiting room because she thought that would make me more comfortable.  B gets his stubbornness from her so there was no talking her out of this.  My recovery in the hospital went really well after the first night and I begged them to let me leave a day early so I could get home with Ben.  I HATED not being with him and only seeing him for dinner.  Briggs was losing a little more weight than they hoped, but they let us as long as we went to the doctor first thing in the morning for a weight check.  No problem! 

Sweet Briggs just sleeps all the time.  Unlike his brother, when it’s time to eat he does for 5*10 minutes and then goes back to bed.  We have tried everything to keep him awake and he just won’t give us more than 10 minutes.  He does however, insist on sleeping next to us.  We tried the pack n play the first night and he woke up every hour.  After 4 hours of this we finally just put him in our bed (I know-it’s SO bad, but we’re in survival mode) and he slept for 3-4 hours.  So you can guess where he’s sleeping right now!  He was an ounce away from his birth weight when we took him for a weight check on Tuesday.  The doctor was amazed at how much he gained in a short time.  Go Briggs!

My mom flew in on Saturday and has been here helping out.  It is SO wonderful!!!  Briggs loves his Grams and just curls up and sleeps on her chest all day.  Ben LOVES having Mommy, Daddy and Grams here to entertain him.  He did ask for his friends the other day and it made me sad (he no longer goes to school).  I’m very glad Austin is moving next door this summer.  Tonight was the first night I could tuck Ben into bed and I loved it!  He’s pretty good with Briggs.  He’ll give him kisses and hugs, but gets really jealous sometimes and has to give him a tiny pop.  Lots of timeouts these days!

B and I feel SO blessed to have two gorgeous boys.  They are both perfect in everyway!

March 29 010

this was actually after he arrived (I think)

 March 29 015

a first picture

 March 29 024

 March 29 026

love this little baby

 March 29 043

my sweet boys

 March 29 046

trying not to cry as I get to hold BOTH of my boys together

March 29 051

March 31 001

my loves

 March 31 013

Daddy was smart enough to get Ben to play ‘push’ when he started to get fussy in the room

April 6 017

first sponge bath at home-not a fan

 April 6 iphone 121

snuggling with Gramma

 April 6 iphone 129

 April 6 iphone 146

Ashley had my class make this for my door.  EVERY single doctor or nurse came in and the first thing they said was, “Are you a teacher?” or “You must be a teacher.”

 April 6 iphone 150

I was very dehydrated when we checked into the hosptial and it took them 4 times to get an IV in me.  This was from one of the attempts. 

 April 6 iphone 171

Spikey hair after his bath

 April 6 iphone 186

Seriously this is what he does ALL day!

5 comments:

The Masons said...

I've been WAITING for this post! Seriously, Briggs is so precious. I love the picture of Ben, you and Briggs. Seriously, what two sweet blessings you have!

Tamara said...

Congrats Amy!!! He is absolutley precious! Seriously,I cannot believe all that hair:) Hope you are enjoying your time at home!

Anonymous said...

thanks for the update Amy..such nice family pic. Having spent a week with you 4, have you found a way to convince grams and pops they need to move this way? love to each of you!

Haley Bishop said...

YEA for a blog update! LOVE LOVE LOVE the photos! I am so happy for you and your family. Briggs is precious and Ben looks so sweet with him. I hope you are adjusting! MISS YOU!

Amanda said...

Congratulations, he's such a cutie! I LOVE all the pictures!I hope all is going well!