Tuesday, September 6, 2011

School is Cool

Today was a BIG day for Ben-we started MDO at Sonshine School!  He goes Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9-2.  We’ve been talking to him all weekend about it getting him excited and telling him what to expect (mommy leaving, naptime, lunch, etc.).  When I woke him up this morning the first thing out of his mouth was, “school today!”  Yep, he was ready!   I know he went to daycare for 2 years, but this was the first time he had a real first day where everyone was there for the first time and experiencing things together first.

September 6 051

We had Meet the Teacher on Friday.  His teacher, Mrs. Wilkins read a story and we did a craft.  His friend Addie is in his class, too!  This makes mommy very happy!

September 6 052

Meet the Teacher hugs for Mrs. Wilkins

September 6 006

We had a homework assignment this weekend for him.  We had to create a scrapbook page that Mrs. Wilkins will copy and laminate for Ben to carry around and she can use it to relate to him.  We were told to add all the important people to him and things he loves.  I went out and bought all this elaborate scrapbook paper and B reminded me that this needed to be visual for a 2 year old.  Oops Smile

September 6 028

His class list!

September 6 007

For some reason Ben would not smile this morning for pictures.  Little stinker!

September 6 012

September 6 014

Michelle (Addie’s mom) embroidered his name on his napmat

September 6 023

Yes this momma cried watching her sweet little two year old walk into school

September 6 025

How cute is that!

September 6 026

After we put our stuff down he ran into his class and immediately started to play and then THEY WOULDN’T LET ME IN!  No parents in the room.  I totally understand why and wish I could have had that rule teaching, but man it was hard.  I had to put my sunglasses on so he wouldn’t see me cry as I gave him a goodbye hug and kiss.

September 6 073

We left and met some of our playgroup friends at Chick fil A for breakfast.  Have I mentioned how much I love these groups?  These moms have become great friends!

September 6 074

After a very quiet and easy few hours it was time to get our buddy!  I can’t believe how easy it was with only one!  My mom took me for ice cream after the first day of school each year from preschool to my senior year and I wanted to start this tradition with Ben.  I even let him have his own cone for the first time. 

September 6 076

Addie and Michelle joined us for some yummy fun, too!  They still had SO much energy and just ran around the whole time.  Sadly Ben started a complete meltdown while we were there (played with a friend during naptime instead of sleeping).  I was NOT a happy mommy with him!  We came home rested with Mickey and then Mayson came over for a little bit until Ashley got off of work. 

September 6 082

I thought it would be a good idea to take them to the park to blow off whatever energy they both had left (she started school today too).  Yes, he was exhausted when we got home.  He kept laying down on the floor behind the couch.

September 6 084

This is what I found when I walked in after quiet time (His favorite toys are in his Monday and Thursday bins so I let him play with those instead of the Tuesday one).  Poor baby was completely out!  Briggs was also sleeping so B and I thought we’d do the unheard of and have a nice dinner outside since the boys were both asleep.  Yep, that lasted 5 minutes before Briggs woke up SCREAMING which in turn woke up Ben.  Fun, fun, fun!

But we are excited for Thursday and Ben’s been walking around telling us about his friend, Mrs. Wilkins!

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! Such a cute post! It was a great first day!!! :)))

The Masons said...

Yeah for a great first day!