This is one of those not so fun posts (but it does have a happy ending). Our Charley girl has a new home. It was not an easy decision and was one that we had been talking about for a long time, but was needed for our family. Poor Charley was spending more and more time stuck outside in the back and not getting the attention and love she deserved. When we’d let her in it generally resulted in chaos and Briggs on the ground screaming because a 60 lb dog just plowed him over or Ben screaming because she grabbed his toy and chewed it up. I just started to worry more and more about her. With the fabulous Texas heat I have been really. So Memorial Day I decided to try to find her a new home. I thought it would be really hard because there are so many innocent dogs needing homes and we’d only let her go if she was getting a good home. I put an ad in Craigslist and had a few replies by the next morning. Then I was searching the Internet and found a rescue website. I entered all her info and literally in 2 hours I had three calls from people 1000 miles away! Later that night I received even more calls and emails from people wanting our Charley girl. They each tried to ‘campaign’ for her. Turns out there are lots of people who love Bouviers and it’s almost unheard of for a young (healthy) female to be available unless you want to pay the breeder’s price (we just asked for a really small fee to make sure whoever took her really wanted her). A family from San Antonio ended up adopting her. She now has a sister (Chloe) who is also a Bouvier and only a month younger. Her new mom, Heather, is really nice and asked if I would like updates and pictures (I said yes). It was really hard for me to watch her go. I can’t imagine how it would have been if I had really liked her. But, I know she’s happy and thriving and loving all the attention she’s getting. They’re even going to keep her name Charley! The boys don’t seem to mind. We told Ben that she was going to live with a new mommy and he didn’t really care. I am excited to have my backyard back, but I do miss my little 4 legged vacuum after the boys are done eating!
Charley (on the left) and her new doggie sister and two of her new ‘brothers’.
1 comment:
You did the right thing for her!
Post a Comment