Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Ben's Baptism & First Trip

***warning-picture overload***

you should be able to click to enlarge

Ben had his first trip this past weekend. As soon as I was pregnant and thought about my baby's Baptism, I knew I wanted it at the church we were married in, St. Catherine's in Austin. I love this church. And-just about all of B's family lives in Austin so we thought it would also make it easier for everyone else. I started packing for our long weekend on Tuesday for Ben (we didn't leave until Friday). It's amazing-the kid needed more than I did! We left bright and early Friday morning in the middle of a crazy and beautiful storm. Ben was WONDERFUL in the car and slept the whole time.



Here he is ready to go!

Aunt Tina is in LOVE with Ben (the feeling is mutual). She snatched him up so quickly to play. It was wonderful to be able to run some errrands and know he was in trusted hands. This is what we saw when we came back from a quick trip to the mall. Such a happy baby!

My sweet boy gets a little fussy sometimes. The answer-outside! He loves to be outdoors. He doesn't care if it's 110 out either. Grandpa took him out on Saturday afternoon when he started up (probably to sing Gray Squirrel in private :) )and this is what I saw when I looked out the window. I think this picture is just beautiful!


My Grammy and Paul flew in for his Baptism and B and I went to dinner with them while Aunt Tina babysat (she insisted). We came home and of course Ben was outside on their beautiful patio staring at the lights on the trees, as happy as can be. This picture is of Daddy and Ben in another matching outfit. Ben is his Mini-Me.




The greatest surprise? Aunt Tina asking if Ben could 'sleep over' on Saturday night. Bill's mom turned his brother's room into the cutest little nursery for Ben (and future grand-babies). It was complete with a play yard so we didn't have to bring ours. Tina moved it into her room for the night. Ben has been waking up around 2-3 EVERY night lately and she wanted to take care of him and feed him and let me sleep. She gave him his last bottle before bedtime, too. Of course Ben slept the entire night that night-he always does that when someone else will help me feed him-typical guy.



Snug as a bug in dream land



The morning after his first sleep over (and the morning of his big day)! Two very happy people.



On Sunday morning we picked up Grammy and Paul at their hotel and drove them around Austin. Ben was crashed with Aunt Tina again so we let them have their time together (and it was hot). We took them to see UT, downtown Austin and Mt. Bonnell. B and I used to come to Mt. Bonnell in college. The views are so beautiful!


Ben was wonderful during his Baptism. He didn't fuss and slept most of the time. I was so nervous, but he was so good (and good looking). Another baby had a blowout during it-thank you Ben for not having one for once, we all appreciated it!



Ben with his Godmother-Tina, Godfather-Uncle Tommy and his wife, Aunt Kristin.


After his Baptism, B's parents had everyone over to their house to visit and meet Ben. Some were in Vegas all weekend and missed the Baptism, but made it afterwards to meet our Monkey. There were about 20 people at one time. Our little guy was so overwhelmed. My sweet friends Courtney and Jeremy even drove in for Houston just for his Baptism. It was so nice of them to be there to witness his special moment and to catch up and talk.

The Mahrer Men

Ben is very lucky to have two great grandmas who love him so much (and both just happen to be named Barbara Jean).

*both his grandpas are also named Bill-the poor kid will be so confused in a few years*



We had such a wonderful time this weekend. Ben slept the whole way on the way back and was even able to wish Aunt Tina good luck on her first day at her new job (she recently graduated college). On the way home we said how this weekend felt like a vacation for us, too! It's wonderful having family just a few hours away to visit (hint, hint Mom and Daddy). We'll be back for Thanksgiving!





3 comments:

Amanda said...

He is such a cutie, loved his baptism outfit too, such a little man!

Molly said...

Amy I loved the pictures! Ben is getting so big and is very cute. His smile is so precious. You have a wonderful family... I am the equivalent to Aunt Tina in my family : )

Darling Daughters said...

yay! Fun times.